Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Were Altecs popular with famous musicians?

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    As a musician that listens to Altec, I can back-up what bfish said that generally musicians could care less about playback.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It all depends if you are the flutist in a 50 piece orchestra. The conductor would be more interrested than each musician.


    36


    Gwen Stefani listening to her performance for the AOL Session promoting her new record "Love Angel Music Baby"


    .................................

  2. #12
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "The conductor would be more interrested than each musician."

    Only until the mix is done. Studio work is often a part of the performance. Once the master's done, it belongs in the playback domain, and the players move on to the next gig.

    Is that Old Guy reachin' for those...uhmmm...sliders?

  3. #13
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I can't decide if there'a a "Please don't touch that" on his lips, or he's merely cursing his bifocals....

  4. #14
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by bfish:
    .....I recently got hold of my grandaddy's old fiddle......First stop, Tennessee Waltz.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So's I can fiddle around with YouTube - Bonnie Raitt & Norah Jones~Tennessee Waltz. forums

  5. #15
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by CONVERGENCE:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> As a musician that listens to Altec, I can back-up what bfish said that generally musicians could care less about playback.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It all depends if you are the flutist in a 50 piece orchestra. The conductor would be more interrested than each musician.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not necessarily, but the flautist would likely have less say in the sound than the conductor regardless of their level of interest. But I'm talking about people who have plenty of reason to be interested, and they do to an extent (particularly in the studio) but not at home. I have hundreds of musician friends that actively record regularly, and fully 4 of them have interest and nice setups, the rest use whatever from Best Buy.

    Dave

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Were Altecs popular with famous musicians?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    In the 70's and 80's, when I was touring a lot, I kept my stereo at home packed up.

    After 3 weeks, 7 days a week, when I got a break I just wabted peace and quiet.

    That said, i always had pretty good stuff, just didn't hook it up most of the time.

    It was different when I ran the music store, I'd come home and listen to music, or go out and find some.

    I suspect a lot of performers would feel the same way.

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    have heard that bob"the bear" from canned heat had one the most extensive libraries of recorded music. from the old rolled cans to tape to..i wonder what he listened to it on? i sure miss his stuff.. after he died the new singer just didnt do it for me, even with filo de lapata. excuse my spelling

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    In the case of my post with the Neve mixer.
    The producer states:All mixes are approved by the artist or management before they release them.


    These are huge contracts. In this case we are talking probably broadcast over a major network.

    So it depends on the scope. I talked to a post production director. He told me that most contracts are quite
    complex and require legal expertise.

    ..............

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Were Altecs popular with famous musicians?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Bfish, I have been known to grab the knobs in an emergency... forums

  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    BY Old Guy:Great show on PBS with Jewel the other night
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes I watched something similar on sound stage.Country signer.

    Here is an interesting biography on Jewel. She sold albums in the millions.

    Jewel Kilcher born May 23, 1974 is an American singer, songwriter, actress, poet and philanthropist, generally known just by her first name, Jewel. She has received three Grammy Award nominations

    http://www.jeweljk.com/

    35

    .................

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.